News


Harris calls for Drive-Test violation details hidden by self-policing regime

November 17, 2014

QUEEN’S PARK – While Kitchener-Conestoga MPP and PC Transportation Critic Michael Harris sought accountability on a self-audit and reporting contract with Ontario’s Drive-Test provider, Serco, the Transportation Minister failed to even acknowledge growing concerns.

“Instead of addressing my questions regarding the lack of accountability this type of contract provides, the Minister chose to talk about new proposed training standards,” Harris said. “But what good are new standards if government is not there to ensure those standards are being met in the first place.”

Harris’ questioning on a contract that allows Serco powers to self-audit and self-report provincial testing violations follows up on last month’s revelations that Serco was violating ministry standards by failing to take would-be truckers at its Woodbridge facility onto a 400-series highway.

“To be clear, there is no amount of testing standards that will protect and enhance our safety if this Minister continues to abdicate his responsibility for oversight,” Harris indicated. “I’ve asked him to table the audits, reports, and violations to ensure safety is not being compromised, and he won’t even acknowledge my question – exactly what is he trying to hide?”

Harris indicated that while the Wynne Liberals spout platitudes towards the concepts of openness and transparency, they continue to hide behind a wall of unaccountability when it comes to the important issues facing our province. As the Minister failed to provide details on Drive-Test performance and violations, Harris says he may be forced to turn to the Freedom of Information request process to unearth the truth.

To watch the video Michael Harris’ question in the house, click link below:

http://youtu.be/zvLtSsx39vw

-30-

For further information contact: Rob Willett | 519.404.4052 | rob.willett@pc.ola.org