Local Press Releases


Premier won’t answer four contradictory comments on GO to KW

July 16, 2014

QUEEN’S PARK — In question period today, Premier Kathleen Wynne refused to clarify comments she made yesterday, claiming that the Liberal government would “immediately” add additional GO Trains to the Kitchener line, PC Transportation Critic and Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris said today.

“Earlier this year, Kathleen Wynne said it would take until 2016 to deliver the GO Trains she cut four years ago as transportation minister,” Harris said. “Under pressure from the media, the Premier changed her tune yesterday, claiming she’d be ‘immediately’ adding the additional trains. But when I asked her to clarify her comments in question period today, she refused to even acknowledge my question.”

While Wynne stayed seated, Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca rose at Queen’s Park to clear up the Premier’s comments and explained that no new GO Trains would be on the Kitchener line until 2016.

“Here is just another case where the Liberals say one thing and do another,” Harris said. “Clearly, Kathleen Wynne doesn’t want residents in Waterloo Region to know that her promise to add two GO Trains to the Kitchener line by 2016 is just a re-announcement of the expansion plans she axed four years ago as transportation minister.”

Amid a growing number of experts rejecting the Liberals’ high-speed rail proposal between London and Toronto, the Premier also told the media yesterday that her transportation minister would release a report that the Liberal government claims backs up the project.

“But when I asked Mr. Del Duca last week, and this week, to release the report, he refused,” Harris said. “If Kathleen Wynne really doesn’t have anything to hide, she should order her minister to release the report today.”

To watch Harris’s question, click on the following link: http://youtu.be/m2VLH-on3nk.